Pet Poisoning

Pet Poisoning in Waldorf, MD

Pets are curious, particularly when they are juveniles, and they may get into substances that are poisonous. Common substances around the home, such as dishwasher liquid, antifreeze, and cleaning compounds can pose a poisoning hazard. Medications and pesticides are also a hazard. Certain foods, such as chocolate, grapes, and onions can be toxic in sufficiently large amounts. Plants ground in and around homes, such as poinsettias, lilies, azalea, sago palm, and tulips are all poisonous and should be used with care around pets.

When an emergency occurs, a Waldorf animal hospital that specializes in emergency care can help your pet with immediate treatment.

dog is sick from pet poisoning

Symptoms of Pet Poisoning

Pets that have ingested a poison may begin vomiting soon after they have consumed the substance. The animal may have diarrhea. There may be blood in the stool. Some poisons will cause the animals to go into seizures. The animal may become very lethargic. There may be bruising or nosebleeds. The pet’s heartbeat may become irregular, or the animal may be unable to urinate. The animals may lose unconsciousness. Pet owners should try to remain calm and get veterinary help as quickly as possible.

What to Do If Your Pet Ingests a Poison

If you suspect poisoning in your pet, you should immediately remove the animal from the area. Make sure the pet is breathing but not attempt to give your pet a home remedy such as milk, salt or other compounds. Don’t induce vomiting until you have talked to a vet or a pet poison control center.

Contact your Waldorf emergency vet immediately to have your pet treated. The vet may use activated charcoal to neutralize the poison or an I.V. may be administered. Your emergency vet can also provide a number of treatments to help your pet in an emergency.

Call Waldorf Emergency Care for Pet Poisoning Near Waldorf, MD

The experienced veterinarians and staff at Waldorf Emergency Care know that a pet poisoning emergency can be an upsetting experience for all involved. We will do our best to keep you informed while your pet is receiving appropriate treatment to remove the poison from its body.

We are available on a 24-hour basis and can work closely with your regular veterinarian to ensure your pet’s recovery. You can always be assured your pet will receive compassionate care and will receive treatment with the highest standards of veterinary care.

Contact Waldorf Emergency Care at (515) 233-1709 for experienced veterinary care when you suspect pet poisoning.


Sign up for more articles


24 hours


24 hours


24 hours


24 hours


24 hours


24 hours


24 hours